Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Blue and White

Post #2
As I promised we are about to begin my home tour.
I should really start you out at the front entry but I couldn't wait to show you this room. so let's pretend we came in the back door as good friends often do. You would enter the yellow enclosed porch here.

The other three sides are windows with old knotty pine trim and ceiling. It looks into the back yard and part of the main garden. The windows are trimmed with yellow gingham.
Then you must go through the mud room which is not much to see, just painted white, lots of coats and shoes and purses hanging on hooks, depending on who's over.
A quick turn to the right and here you are. One of my favorite rooms of the house. My blue and white Country French breakfast room.

Take your time and look around. Don't look too close, there's a lot to dust and I'm sure I missed plenty.


There's a small collection of blue onion, a vase from Romania, and others.




My view every morning as I read my book and sip my morning tea. What flowers are blooming today? I wonder what bird that is calling? Look, did you see the hummer?


And here's another passion of mine. Blue Willow. This curio cabinet is also loaded with cobalt blue, and flow blue, and a piece or two of blue Greentown Glass. Most of it must go, but I'll keep some of the special pieces.


This is a look around the plate rail. The wallpaper looks a little yellowed in these pictures but it's actually very white.


I know it's a lot -- I told you on other blogs, I can get obsessive. I'm embarrassed to say there's another plate rail above the windows, fully loaded, but the light was too bright to get a good picture. After the tour, I'll take down a few pieces and photograph those close-up.

Check back for another room in a few days. I'm thinking front door this time. Thanks for stopping by. Sorry the cookies weren't done; it's been a rough day.
Hmmm, maybe another cuppa will hit the spot.





Please check out my other blogs at:
http://thyme-for-herbs.blogspot.com
http://anherbalbedfellow.blogspot.com
http://ticklingtheivories.blogspot.com

9 comments:

Mary said...

What fun to sit here sipping my own tea while touring your house :-) So beautiful! How can you bear to leave or sell things? But I know the feeling. I find that things I once collected are beginning to be less important and that scaling down seems right. You have a beautiful room and the view is terrific too! I am really going to enjoy this tour! I think this is a wonderful way to capture your memories of this house.

Becky said...

What a gorgeous home you have. I can see and understand what you are going through. Where ever you decide to move you will be taking most of your wonderful gatherings with you and soon your new home will once again be yours.
I have a sister that is going through the same agonizing plans, and she has said she will know when the time is right. Her house is also over 100 years old, 3 storys and she knows she will need less space as she ages.
I love your story and will be following it daily. Good luck Jane.

Jane O' said...

Mary, I have my up and sown days. It will be very difficult on the day I drive away. But yesterday we took a drive around some neighboring cities to get an idea where we might like to go and I felt a little better.

Becky, We always said we were only caretakers of a home that belonged to many. It's time for someone else to take over the job. It's just the hard work and making it our own that is hard to leave. I surely hope no one tears it down.

Thank you both for being followers. I feel like I have a support system through all of my readers who will help me through this.

sandy said...

ahhh that was great and I love your view out your window while sitting at the table. I came here from Mary's blog.

I'll check out your other blogs later when I get a chance.

s

Rose said...

Such a beautiful home! I can understand why it must be heart-wrenching to have to leave it soon, yet I understand the logic of "downsizing." We do have something else in common--I love Blue Willow, too, and have collected a few pieces, though nothing to the extent of yours!

We moved from a nearly 100-year-old home to our present newer one about 4 years ago, so I find the tour of your house fascinating.I don't have time to stay long today, but I will be back to continue the tour tomorrow--and maybe share a cup of tea?

Jane O' said...

Sandy, nice to meet you, it's always nice to meet a new friend.

Rose, I'll introduce you to Sandy when you come back. We all love old houses!

Heidi said...

Ah! Blue willow...just so pretty. I love the story behind it. Have you read it? I posted it on my blog a while back and you can see it here:
http://celebratetheseasons.blogspot.com/2008/01/blue-and-white-laundry-room.html

Hugs ~
Heidi

My Mother's Garden said...

Hi Jane Marie~
Oh! What a beautiful home you have, I think my favorite picture is of "My view every morning as I read my book and sip my morning tea." What a great way to greet each day, it looks so peaceful.
Thanks for visiting my blog today.
Off to see your other ones ( how do you find the time for three?) I find myself losing time with the one I just started :) It's a fun new experience.
Karrita

Rhondi said...

Hi Jane
I like this room best of all. If it's okay with you I'll just sit and chat awhile :)
Hugs, Rhondi