Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Doctor's House



Post #1:

I am getting to the time of my life where I have to give up my big 101-year-old home. I'm not that old, but my husband and I have come to the agonizing decision that sometime in the next two to three years we should move. It will be one of the hardest things I have ever done, because this house has a hold on me.

The picture on the header is what my house looks like now, and the picture on this post shows what it looked like in 1907. It's far from perfect and I had hoped to have more time to work on it, but sometimes what is the logical thing to do and what the heart wants aren't the same thing.

This new blog is going to tell you the story of how I came to own this house. I will also tell you stories of some of the other families who lived and died here. And along with that I will give you a tour, room by room, as if you were here with me.
I will show you a close look at some of my antiques and collectibles; I will be selling many of my precious treasures, so I'd like to journal about them and document them so I can look back on it all. Do you think it will be too painful for me?

To me, this house has a real personality, and it has always tugged at my heart whenever I pull in the driveway. You're home! Now, I have finally come to the realization that it is just a house, after all, a building. It has been a home to me and many others -- it has never been only mine.

I never liked the sound of the words "scaling down," but that is what we are going to do -- one step at a time. I hope you will go on this journey with me, as I introduce you to Happenstance House, or the Doctor's House, as it was known here in town by the locals. Come with me, as we step back in time.


Please check out my other blogs at:
http://thyme-for-herbs.blogspot.com
http://anherbalbedfellow.blogspot.com
http://ticklingtheivories.blogspot.com

10 comments:

cindy santiago said...

What a beautiful home! I would think that would be very hard to give up!

Sue said...

Jane Marie,

Your house is huge, can't wait for the tour. I really really want to visit your blue and white room, I know I'll love it.

I like your new blog and it's purpose. I will add to my blogroll.

I'm leaving Texas because I have completed my contract, so I will head home.

Sue

Lucy Corrander said...

A wonderful shaped house and inviting front door.

'Scaling down' - oh!

Lucy Corrander
PICTURES JUST PICTURES

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea for a new blog! I love the entire concept. The house was and still is beautiful. But I'm coming around to where you are. A house is just a house. And it is a home. But what is really, really home is what you have in it. And that can go with you, unless it's nailed down!
Brenda

Mary said...

A wonderful beginning and I look forward to more. It must be very difficult for you. We have begun to think smaller, too and I hate the idea but also really do want something smaller and easier....so hard when you have a house full of memories that you made one by one. I love old houses and antiques so this should be interesting!

joey said...

You crack me up, Jane Marie, simply thinking ... when do you sleep! Love all your posts and could spend the day simply snooping around your sites (anxious to see the scoop about this lovely home). Hate to leave the music ... I could spend the entire day following you around ...How fun ;)

smilnsigh said...

I think this is a wonderful idea! A blog to keep memories of this beloved house, forever.

It may cause a pang of sorts, later. But I think that in the long run, it will have been a very good idea, to have done this.

To have done this now, while you can. And not have to wish you had, later.

Actually, I'm more into the scaling down/back than you seem to be. But then, I'm certainly older too. :-) Though we don't have a huge house like yours, I wish we could have moved from this 2 story home where we raised our family, into a smaller home, with just the necessary amount of rooms for us, now. But... for many reasons, this won't happen.

So, I simply *made believe* that the rooms we still use in this house, are all there is to it. And thus, in my imagination, it can become the cottage I so which we had. :-)

We deal with our circumstances, in the best possible way. :-) I hope you will be content with the changes you make, in the next few years.

Meanwhile, I'm glad I found this blog of yours and hope to come along with you, via your entries here.

Miss Mari-Nanci
Smilnsigh blog

Heidi said...

You will create a wonderful memory book for yourself through this blog. I can imagine the sorrow you feel knowing you will be selling it but at least you had time to be a caretaker for it to be passed on to the next family. What a treasure it is!

Hugs ~
Heidi

Joyce's Journey said...

I just read each post - of course I should've started from the bottom and did not, but enjoyed just the same. You have a beautiful home with gorgeous things everywhere. I think this blog is a wonderful idea and I will so thoroughly enjoy reading more as time goes on. Memories, pictures, the words in your blog will be cherished by you always.

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

WOW, how have I missed your blog? I know I must have been here before, I remember the name!

Well, anyhoo... I'm here now! I'm going to have to get caught up with your posts. It's a shame to have to leave but I certainly understand your need to downsize. These big homes and collectables truly are a lot of work!

The home certainly has gone thru some changes over the years. How neat you have a photo from 1907!