Friday, August 29, 2008

Company Comes to the Front Door


Post #3

My mother always said "company came to the front door, relatives, close friends, and salesmen to the back." How times have changed. Now it seems as though you're never quite sure which door to enter. In the Dutch community I live in, it is common practice for everyone to use the back door. I guess the more to keep the house clean of the dirt off your shoes.
Anyway, I'm not Dutch American so we will enter the front door, my favorite way to enter this house.





Off to the right of the door is the porch swing that my father made for me. I love to sit out here and read. Sometimes my husband and I swing before bed and listen to the crickets in the evening.



The hardwood floor that Duane, my husband, stripped, sanded, and varnished on his hands and knees.


The stairs, railing, and spindles had been painted white in the 40s or 50s. A previous owner did all of the work before we bought it. It took her a year to do it using dental floss to get around the curves of the spindles.
The wall of pictures is the result of my years of genealogy. I'll show you some of them close up in a minute.


This is to the left of the door. The woman who did the stairs had this enlargement made of the original house and asked that it always be kept with the house. I'll pass it on to the new owner. The pedestal holds a silver tray with antique calling cards that I have collected.


Straight in, this hall goes to another hall and then to the blue and white breakfast room I showed you on post #2.


This is a picture of Dr. Lanting, the doctor who built the house in 1907. It's his medical school graduation. I might leave this one behind too.



Immediately to the right of the door. We used to own an antique shop and this was left over. No one wanted to buy it, so I kept it. Isn't it beautiful? The lady I got it from said her mother brought it from Italy. It serves well as a last check before going out the door.


My father's World War II Company picture. He's a decorated vet.


My husband's great great uncle, Civil War picture. We both have many Civil War relatives and many who were in the Revolutionary War. Some of mine fought for the British, but I don't talk about that much :)

My father-in-law as a baby with his parents.


This document is written in old German. I had to have it translated. It gives my great, great grandfather permission to come to the US for six months. He was a serf and had to prove that his debt was paid before he could leave. It's dated 1885 and stamped with a wax seal by the Governor of Mecklenberg.



The top of the stairs, leading to bedrooms, etc. We'll get to that soon enough. I've probably held you up long enough so we'll continue in a few days. Thanks for stopping by.
You can put my blog in your reader or sign up for an email subscription if you're interested in keeping up. See the top of the sidebar.

Please check out my other blogs at:
Thyme for Herbs
An Herbal Bedfellow
Tickling the Ivories

8 comments:

Mary said...

Another wonderful post. We'll just have to stand here on the steps until you are ready to move on :-) Your husband did a terrific job on the floor, as did the person who did the stairs. So much work to get old houses ready! It has to be a labor of love to do it. Your antiques are lovely and that mirror is wonderful! I'm of German ancestery, too and I work part time typing for a local genealogy site that one of our funeral homes started. Tracing your history can be intersting if you have enough time! Old photos are so cool! I loved the porch and would like to sit on the swing with you. Such a pleasant place to be on a summer's evening.

Sue said...

Jane Marie,

I would love to join you on the front porch for a cup of tea. Such hard work ya'll have done and it is beautiful. The floors, stairs and antiques ---- AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
SUE

Heidi said...

What an incredible house you have Jane Marie! I have always dreamed of living in an old home and we even almost bought one here in Holland but alas. Funny that you say the Dutch American community uses the back door. I live in Holland and find people very formal where we are. You plan visits way ahead here too. I love your swing. I can no longer hear crickets but would enjoy sitting there sharing a cup of tea. :)

Hugs ~
Heidi

sandy said...

I am so loving these photos!!! The stairway is gorgeous with that rug and photos.

wow.

Becky said...

Thanks again for taking us along. You certainly have a gorgeous home, and what history it has.

smilnsigh said...

I love all the old photos and etc. But especially love how some will remain with the house.

Miss Mari-Nanci
'Smilnsigh' blog

Anonymous said...

This house is lovely. Can I twist your arm to sell it. I would love to see myself and you front porch swing. It feels as if my grandfather built it himself. The music is wonderful. When an open house is in full swing you should play this in every room. i would love to come sit on the swing with you soon. With love and respect for your hard work, Taylor!

Mustang Mike said...

Jane Marie, does your house have a garage? I would like to see where Duane parks his car.
Mustang Mike