Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Let's Go Upstairs.

Post #7

I think today I'll take you upstairs. On the second floor there are 6 bedrooms, (we only use three at the moment) a sitting room, a library, and two bathrooms. Only one bathroom is working; the shower and toilet in the second bathroom were taken out by a previous owner -- another long story -- and we never got around to redoing it. It's used for storage now.





As you come to the top of the stairs, you'll see an antique clock that my father-in-law had. He took it with him to every house and even the last move to Florida. We don't know for sure where he got it, but he always liked it and wanted us to have it. I think he knew it would look good here.
The light fixture is original to the house but I am not sure which doctor hung it there. The house had gas fixtures when it was first built, unless this was converted.





This is a view looking down the hall from the bathroom toward the top of the stairs. The door on the left is my bedroom. Straight ahead is the library. (sorry, about the blurry picture!
We brought the large teak Buddha with us from Taiwan. We bought it in our first year of marriage, so it's always been in our house. It's said to bring good luck when you rub his belly. Children always love to test out that story. (giggle, giggle)


To the left of the hallway picture is what we call the Lilac Room, the most recently decorated of all the rooms upstairs. It's one of our favorite guest rooms. I am selling all of the furniture in here. I had planned to cover the walls with quilt wall hangings so the walls are bare because I never got started on any before making the decision to leave.

I made this quilt and then matched the paint to the colors. It always seems so spring-like in here.


I found these curtains at Walmart! You can't see the fabric, but it's a sheer with small flowers the exact same colors as the quilt. They're even stitched in a cross-hatching pattern just like the quilt. You can see the window design through the light. I've always loved the bedroom windows. In the book that Hilda wrote she says this room was used as a guest room, also.



A pleasant and restful corner. The radio is from the 30s and still works. I always expect old-time music to play when I turn it on.
Now that you're in the guest room, would you like to stay a while? Sit back and relax or take a nap. I'll call you for dinner!


Please check out my other blogs at:
Thyme for Herbs
An Herbal Bedfellow
Tickling the Ivories

6 comments:

Mary said...

I wish I could lay down under that beautiful quilt and take a nap! Don't wake me up for awhile! What a lovely room and the furniture is great! Love the old radio and the clock! That chair looks very comfortable. Sigh.....how peaceful to sit and listen or a great place to rock a baby. Perfect curtains...lucky find!

Sue said...

Love every thing, the quilt you made is beautiful--did you see my post regarding things interested in?

sue

joey said...

I'm delighted to have a joyful moment in this wonderful home, Jane Marie (and your music cracks me up ... where did you find this Michigan song ... I thought I knew them all). (((HUGS)))

Becky said...

I'll just sit and listen to music. It looks so inviting. More beautiful rooms Jane. That quilt is gorgeous, and how lucky to find curtains matching so close. Thanks again for the beautiful tour.

Jane O' said...

Joey, I just realized I never answered you. I stumbled across the Michigan song when I was looking for songs from the 20s and 30s. Billy Murray was quite popular then, and it happened that he made this song famous. I knew you would like it.

MeMeMe said...

if i were your neighbor i'd buy your furniture.