Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Kitchen

It's finally time to show you the kitchen. I held off for a while because we were in the middle of painting cupboards and as you can see in the first picture, we are now working on the ceiling but had to stop to get ready for all of the Christmas activity. Whew, so much going on!





I love this shelf above the window. Although it is a dust catcher, I had kitchen antiques up there. Many have been taken down and sold. I just kept a few favorites.

One of the best things about this kitchen is the cupboard and counter space. There's plenty of room for all of my dishes -- and I have a lot. I like to have different place settings for different holidays and seasons.


We put these shelves in so I could grow African violets which I had done in a previous home. But it just wasn't the right window. So I started to keep my dried herbs in jars on the shelves and it worked very well. They are so easy to reach when I am cooking, and they look pretty, too.


The island is topped with thick knotty pine boards, then covered in polyurethane. A previous owner built this and I have truly loved it. It's one of the first things women admire when they come into the kitchen. The beadboard is around the island and also on the lower half of all the walls.


This is the view out my back yard. Another look into my garden. I can watch the birds and squirrels while I cook and bake.


There's no explanation needed here. It's my cookbook shelves, holding all of the recipes I use for An Herbal Bedfellow.


Another small collection next to the refrigerator. I actually use most of them, but not the pig. Any guesses what it is? It's a cast iron headcheese mold. Now, that's kind of disgusting to me (head cheese is a sausage or jellied loaf made from the meat of the head of the hog or calf) but he was so cute I couldn't resist.


Just some more knickknacks on the baker's rack. There's no end to them. How will I ever get rid of it all?


And cupboards and more shelves above the stove.

This room was the original master bedroom when the house was first built. It was converted to a kitchen in the '40s when doctor number three moved in. It has seen many families come and go with loads of children begging snacks from Mom. There has been a lot of activity around the island while preparing Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas cookies, birthday cakes, and special dinners. I like to think of all the happiness there has been in this room, including my own.

Next time I think we'll see the living room in it's Christmas garb, so please come again. It was nice to see you!



Please check out my other blogs at:
Thyme for Herbs
An Herbal Bedfellow
Tickling the Ivories

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cozy kitchen - love your valance. Can't wait to see the Christmas decor.

DocSly said...

Jane, it is so neat to enter your world after so many years. I am traveling on business right now and wish I were home decorating for Christmas. I shall return.

Becky said...

Such a homey kitchen Jane. I have lots of old jars and antiques in my kitchen too, but it much smaller than yours. How will you ever decide what to part with?
I'll be looking forward to your Christmas decorations.

Miri said...

Your kitchen is so bright even on a clearly wintry day...and the plaid wallpaper is wonderful.

Magnolia Memories08 said...

My favorite room in your home is your kitchen. Oh Oh what fun it will be to decorate for Christmas. This is my first time to visit. Thanks for the beautiful plate giveaway.

Mary said...

I've gotten behind on this but hope to catch up now! The kitchen is very nice and "homey"...I can almost smell the cookies baking :-) I love the head cheese mold even though you would not get me to touch head cheese with a 10 foot pole! I believe that my dad describes making it in the book he wrote for us about his life....yuck!

Sue said...

The star quilt you made is out of this world BEAUTIFUL--HOW LONG DID IT TAKE TO COMPLETE----------